"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." ~ Bertrand Russell
The next blog of theirs went on about how Atheists will get what they have coming to them, hellfire at the end of their lives.
This was my reply to that:
My question to you is ... why do you worship something which could see fit to burn people in hell for all eternity? I'm really really proud of the fact that I see the evil in the Bible. I'm not an Atheist because I am immoral, I'm an Atheist because I am much too moral to be religious or live my life by a holy book.
You want to post videos about Atheists who have committed murder without paying attention to all of the murders committed in the name of God? Fine. But what about the greatest mass murderer in the history of time? Your God. Women and innocent children alike.
Are you aware that the Koran and the Muslims feel the same way about you that you do about Atheists? How does that make you feel? They believe it with their whole hearts, same as you.
See, the difference between you and I is really less about who believes or doesn't believe what and more this - You sound happy that people who don't think like you could one day burn and be tormented in hellfire and I, I could never ever wish that kind of thing upon my fellow man for any reason and especially not because they disagree with me.
So I was checking out the most popular blogs on Myspace and came across one supposedly proving Atheists wrong. Often I skip right over these things but I'm just in some kind of mood today, anyway, this is what I said:
1. People who believe in totally different/opposing Gods and religious ideology have had experiences just like yours and your family. Healings attributed to "God" have occurred in all religions throughout the history of man, prayers prayed to all kinds of different Gods have supposedly been answered.
2. There are a massive amount of innocent children dying every single day and you are no better than they are and God has no reason to favor you.
3. Prophecies said to be fulfilled in the same book that made the predictions can't be taken seriously.
4. You are using the word "theory" incorrectly. Theory doesn't mean unproven, or do you not believe in gravitational theory either?
5. Your belief in God takes more faith than belief in Evolution. I can not believe that you actually think otherwise. The actual definition of faith is believing something without evidence, there are a wealth of facts supporting evolution and virtually nothing to support the belief in God.
6. Believing that some God got here all by himself is at least equal to the argument that matter and space always were. People always argue that we are so amazing (I could argue that as well) then surely a God must have made us and our home but how is it that something even more amazing (your God) could have always been? It doesn't make any sense
If your faith brings you happiness then I truly wouldn't want to take that from you (though I know from experience that you can be very happy without) but to say that we are somehow blind to something so easy to see is just wrong.
The remarkable part is their reply which reads:
Heavenly Father, thank you for your goodness and all the wonderful works you've done in my life. Truly, you have satisfied my longing soul and filled my hungry soul with goodness.
Thank you for being my Shepherd; because this is so, I know I shall never need to suffer want or lack again.
Praise your mighty name!
How excellent is your loving kindness, O Lord. I rejoice to know your great love for me, and I trust you fully, as I find my place of refuge in the shadow of your wings.
Thank you for abundantly satisfying me and permitting me to drink from the river of your pleasures. With you, dear Father, is the fountain of life, and in your light I am enlightened. Thank you for satisfying each of these needs in my life.
Father, my soul blesses you, and all that is within me blesses your holy name. I will never forget all your wonderful benefits to me. Thank you for forgiving all my iniquities and healing all my diseases. Thank you for redeeming my life from destruction. I rejoice in the knowledge that you have crowned me with your lovingkindess and your tender mercies.
Thank you for satisfying my mouth with good things, so that my youth is renewed like the eagle's. As I pray, I believe and receive your promise to satisfy me and fulfill my desires.
Thank you for being near to me, Father, as I call upon you in truth. Knowing you as my God and King gives me great satisfaction in every area of my life. Thank you so much, dear God.
In Jesus' victorious name I pray, Amen.
A prayer was their reply to me? And not even a prayer to ya know, like ward off the evil demon lady, a prayer of thanks? I am so confused! Confused and annoyed.
In this new comedy from director Larry Charles (BORAT, "Seinfeld"), comedian and TV host Bill Maher ("Real Time with Bill Maher," "Politically Incorrect") takes a pilgrimage across the globe on a mind-opening journey into the ultimate taboo: questioning religion. Meeting the high and low from different religions, Maher simply asks questions, like "Why is faith good?" "Why doesn't an all-powerful God speak to us directly?" and "How can otherwise rational people believe in a talking snake?" For anyone who's even a little spiritually curious, this divine entertainment will deepen your faith...in comedy!
Special Features CC Commentary with Bill Maher and director Larry Charles Deleted scenes Bill Maher monologues from around the world Region: 1 Audio: DD5. 1/DD2
Rating: R Genre: Comedy Theatrical Release: 10/03/2008(USA) Release Date: 02/17/2009 SubTitles: English/Espanol Dubbed: English Sound: DD5. 1/DD2 Run Time: 101 Minutes Flags: Profanity, Sexual Situations Distributor/Studio: Lionsgate
Lions Gate Films Shop Walmart F. Y. E Coconut Stores Target Stores Best Buy Amazon